Monday, August 24, 2009

What's currently on my bookshelf..

Waiting to be grabbed up and set on my curled up lap for a long read...

1 The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

A young woman finds, in her father's library, letters that lead her to the discovery that Vlad the Impaler, the basis of the legend of Dracula, might actually still be around. She follows to tale to

Adventure, world travels and mystery with a little bit of actual history mixed in with the fantasy. My favorite kind of book.

2 Heroines of the Sky by Jean Adams and Margaret Kimball
copyright 1942.

I found this book on the shelf in my parent's basement. It was no doubt my grandmother's and I noticed a library marking in the front form Aurora, Missouri. Haha, "Books may not be kept longer than two weeks without renewal. A fine of two cents a day shall be paid on each book which is not returned according to the rule above. An additional fee of 25 cents will be charged on overdue books for which it is necessary to send a messenger." Uh oh, my grandmother is in trouble. lol

Discovery of the book aside, I'll give you a preview of what it's about. The foremothers of flying. Amelia Earhart was not the only woman to fly from 1911 to 1942. There were about 20 women who truly set the standard for the rest of us. I've only read a few pages, but so far it's very inspiring and it's neat to see early photographs of an organization of which my grandmother, my mother, myself and even Amelia Earhart were members. The Ninety Nines.

3 The World's Greatest Letters edited by M. Lincoln Shuster

What a great discovery this book was! My husband and I were searching around in his grandparent's basement as they had requested we take a few old books off of their hands. They are well aware that the pair of us adore reading. I just picked this one off the shelf and it's worn but beautiful. Copyright 1940. It was published at the Rockefeller Center!

It gets better...The letters are classified by subject: Love letters, Letters of courage and adventure, letters or irony and satire, letters about turning points of history, etc.

And even better, it includes letters from the greats: Beethoven, Poe, Voltaire, Twain, Dickens, Di Vinci, Bryant, etc.

4 A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah

The story of a boy who fled attacking rebels in Sierra Leone only to be picked up by the government army and forced to commit terrible acts. He tells his story.

5 Kabule Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez

A woman retells her story of moving to Afghanistan with a degree in cosmetology. She joined the Kabul Beauty School and inspired women to support their families as cosmetologists. She really dips into the culture and ways of the Afghan society. She even ends up falling in love with an Afghan.

6 The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

A reclusive author has spent the last six decades writing different lives for herself. In every book that she publishes, she writes a different life story. Finally, she uncovers the ghosts of her past for a young biographer. However, she doesn't make it easy.

7 Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Hirsi Ali writes about her upbringing in a strict Muslim family in Somalia. She survived civil war, female mutilation, brutal beatings, and a forced marriage.

I just really like to read about different cultures. Nonfiction books from which I can actually learn something.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! You are making me want to read something that is not a textbook. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be quite some time before that happens. Did I ever give you my new blog address? I noticed your site had an old link. Check out: decadefordisaster.wordpress.com. :)

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jeez im really thinking we need to trade books! I'll read The Historian for you if you wanna tackle Medical-Surgical nursing for me!! pleeeeease?

    ReplyDelete