1. Post about this linky party on your blog
2. Follow my blog.
3. Answer the following 5 questions (include documents if you have them):
- What grade do you teach?
- I teach 6th grade LA and Creative Writing 4-8.
- What is the greatest advice you received during your 1st year of teaching?
- Don't try to do it all, no one can make everyone happy all of the time.
- Make sure to take time for yourself.
- Start fresh every day (don't hold grudges).
- Do you have a checklist that you follow when preparing your classroom (include the checklist)?
No, since this is only my first full year of teaching, but I was given one by another LA teacher (I've added a few things):
- Unpack closet/organize books
- Hang up posters
- Redo bulletin boards
- Make new name cards for class folders (rotate from previous grade)
- Make new name notecards
- Review syllabus and copy/send out to parents
- Set up class folders on computer
- Get codes for AR access for new students
- Design seating charts (Talk with 5th grade teachers)
- Copy roster for manual attendance
- Copy roster for emergency bag; include address and phone number
- Update restroom sign out sheets
- Update P.O.P. book sheets
- Write and mail family welcome letter.
- Decide on class rules and determine associated rewards and consequences
- Select icebreaker activity.
- Prepare to introduce students to the Web by locating an appropriate back-to-school scavenger hunt.
- Read through student files. This provides a glimpse as to problem behaviors, learning challenges and gives an initial impression of each child.
- Organize file cabinets
- Hang poster of the daily schedule.
- Check the computer and other technology devices. If they are not working as expected, turn in a request for repair now so it will be working by the time students arrive.
- Post your name, room number, and the grade or class you teach, both inside the classroom and outside the classroom door.
- Make sure to blog about lessons every day after they occur. Pros and cons.
- What are some must haves in your classroom that you cannot live without (ex. items, books, posters, management strategies)?
- Anchor charts
- Bathroom sign out
- CHAMP strategy (Conversation, Help, Activity, Movement, Participation)
- What is something that all teachers should have in their classroom?
- Chocolate (and water!)
- a positive attitude
1. What state you are in?
2. Your current teaching position
6th grade LA and 4-8 Creative Writing
3. Your teaching experience
Starting my second year
4. When you started blogging
5. Share a blogging tip / blogging resource
Just search other teacher websites and blogs, along with pinterest, for great ideas.